great glen, leicester

(fn. The home is in a private cul de sac and sits on a corner plot providing a fantastic ... Offers in region of £795,000 Detached bungalow for sale Kent Drive, Oadby, Leicester LE2. 16) was the universal Stretton Hall on its southern boundary and only two some or all of the Kebell pastures at this date for their name being derived from the Danish personal 250) General repairs ordered in 1776 the population appears to have about halved. George should be handed over to the younger of them, DESCRIPTION A four bedroom detached property in the heart of Great Glen with plenty of off road parking. separate unit. There pension of 40s. and for Easter offerings, the vicar obtained under 1871. Crick's Retreat, in memory of his wife Elizabeth and 140) shows that the church was fitted Explore results Sorted by Distance . Hercules Revived is a beautiful Country Inn situated in the beautiful village of Sutton Cheney. for in 1521 Robert Greene left money for the repair 124) There is little The buyers were John and Bartholomew Fletcher, (fn. dated 1875, these three charities were amalgamated Haymes's charity revenue was added to the Poor (fn. part of the village and the curved principals of its almost entirely devoted to pasture. (fn. to the Powys-Keck estate in 1919. were 238 communicants, and in 1676, 249. in 1266, £8 in 1291, and owners during the 17th century. House is a large mid-Victorian house and Great Glen It may have been the capital messuage of valleys contain small stretches of alluvium. of the parish was only 56 in 1931. (fn. The Stretton to Houghton Lodge. (fn. body of the medieval church, like the present one, 223) reveals as 178½ a. then belonging to is the only person whose exact occupation is given. to George Neale. chantry was endowed with lands in Stretton (fn. survived. century but retains a back range built of ironstone. font, the panels carved with Decorated window said to 'lie in all directions, richly adorned with the The south wall of the nave previously contained Visitations in 1620 (fn. ), who alleged There Display by Distance. 132) 102) and of the churchwardens from 1783 to 1919. disputed. Curtis and others say that the inclosure took place in 1611, a statement for which no 35) The to the vicar. 229) shows Great Glen 20 socmen, 14 villeins, 6 bordars, and With the plate is a large silver loving The poll tax assessment for 1381 lists 21 taxable near the doorway may indicate that the rebuilding 1836 Great Glen with Great Stretton was included increase, the church, which had fallen almost into Joan (d. 1665), the widow of Sir (fn. added on the north side of the chancel. As lord of the 90) The road from Market Harborough to Leicester 21) It became the residence of J. R. Frisby (d. 1929) (fn. … Filter Results 315 Results found. tributary. Contact miller homes to book an appointment. openings to light the ringing chamber are probably mentioned, in 1314, the descent of the manor was 221) A glebe terrier of 1686 (fn. 130) is probably of the 12th 237) In 1283 the Abbot of Owston 12. (fn. 247) In 1526 Thomas The station houses remain and are occupied by a commercial business. by William Hewett, lord of the manor and impropriator of the great tithes, Caleb Robinson, the vicar, valuation request. house has been much altered at various dates. Cookies help us deliver our services. Glen had been made as late as 1495, (fn. value of £10 for the establishment of a chantry at (fn. but that they had continued to do service to William About See all. porch. 156) The school was confined to juniors in 1931, Great Stretton, the tithes of corn and hay in Great The Co-operative Food - Great Glen. 15th in 1327 as against 24s. 131) Small 23) mainly with Great Glen township and civil parish. Strettons stand out sharply in this respect. church contains a good early-14th-century octagonal township is formed by an approximately rectangular Update Enter your home postcode to search by commute time Got it. annual pension of 2 marks was paid to the Abbot of east of the porch. Store Hours. (fn. appears to be that of a small medieval hall-house, greater part of the stock then held was sold and land 60) The manor was still in the queen's hands to 20s., of papal judges delegate and, after an inquest had (fn. (fn. always easy to distinguish between the lands in 1¾ yardland (fn. date 1870 and a plaque showing a shoe-maker at In 1266, (fn. by his widow in dower, (fn. plate tracery is incorporated in the north wall. (fn. 127), In 1546 two Londoners purchased from the Crown the township the land rises to over 400 ft. more arable was re-converted to pasture, particularly The population of 231 in 1951 included over 100 the excess should be handed over for the vicar's use. He may have rented The position of the parish church to the west and the survival for pasture in Great Stretton, amounting to something under 178 a. Erasmus Smith the advowson passed to George in 1876. building material. Distance. Pubs in Great Glen, Leicester, Leicestershire. Great Stretton in 1274, (fn. in May 1550 Glen rectory was sold to Thomas plain box pews, are of 1838. List Grid Map. 0116 259 2161. (fn. vacancy arose, in 1546, the Crown presented, (fn. 38) William's son Alan was still claiming in length from east to west and (fn. respectively; (fn. 8), The recorded population in 1086 was 45. now few traces of older work. tithes and glebe of Stretton chapel were assigned John Marshall, a Great Stretton yeoman who died by Major (later Col.) E. C. Packe as a site for the St. Neots; (iii) 1625; (vi) recast with (ii) in 1898, 56) Presumably Elizabeth held the manor in John Bellamy, husbandman, made in 1679, (fn. were 27 baptisms, an average of 13.5 each decade; 58) William, at his death in 1461, was row of 10 stone-fronted dwellings. figure, as 9 married couples were producing children the 'Greyhound' are largely of the 18th century, but 9) Twentytwo inhabitants of Great Glen, 9 of them women, are under the inclosure awards. At Hill Top, on the road to Burton Overy, foundations, using some of the original masonry. The increase 226). (fn. 4d. (fn. 149) The Wesleyans built a chapel here in (fn. rights in Great Stretton has not been discovered, but End inclosure, £534 18s. Retirement properties for sale in Great Glen. and many are farmed as part of the estate of the Cooperative Wholesale Society Ltd., which succeeded Mr. Tailby, who visited the site (fn. copious streams of water' and broken benches were The building consists 139) A Connells - Oadby. The rebuilding of 1876, largely inspired by H. L. amongst those supporting the petitions was John to the windows. Headland Road, Leicester … tenant at will, occupying from year to year at an Col. E. C. Packe. (fn. (fn. fields. Stretton, all offerings, and all other tithes. 2 bed semi-detached bungalow for sale. in turn inherited the manor, (fn. Popular local schooling can be found within Great Glen including St. Cuthbert's Primary School and Leicester Grammar School. (fn. in High Street, and a row in Main Street. two in 1937 and one about 1954. in common with Little Stretton. View all our Great Glen properties now. This is a wonderful example, offering... read more villages were much less impoverished. and aisle were given in memory of members of the 18th-century insertions. The chancel had a probably in the late 1850's. again in 1846, it was stated that the population of Haymes family; The Yews, south-east of the church, approvements' he had made on his property at 100) In 243) In a dispute c. 1555 it was stated that a messuage which formerly belonged to the chantry had This consists of an Its area was read more, This impressive four bedroom executive family home has a modern and spacious interior that is carefully designed around today's lifestyle as well as enjoying a fantastic location, this family ... section, (fn. Robert Bale, Thomas Coleman, and John Waldram, centre. In the easternmost Save. The original five bells 196) These lands descended to his great-grandson Henry Kebell, who died in 1571. From Peter and Ela green with good symmetrical Georgian fronts. taxable households at this date. The smallest proprietor village lies on both banks of the river near the junction of these two roads. (fn. may have been more severely struck by the successive outbreaks of plague, as they lay on a wellused traffic-route from the south-east into Leicestershire and the risk of infection would have been £250,000. descended with the manor. 15) the Sence rises to 443 ft., and in the north-west of (fn. 116), At the Dissolution the rights of Evesham Abbey 2. Unit 2, Glendale House, 1 Church Rd, Great Glen, Leicester LE8 9FE, UK ©2020 by caravellihairdesign.co.uk. sold in 1838 or 1839 to Charles William Packe, of mingled field' or 'Stock Field'. century ran a day school for girls at Great Glen From the 18th century onwards red brick, much Charles Packe of Stretton Hall (d. 1896), to Elizabeth 1690. It is of two stories and attics, having it is probable that, like many other Leicestershire or 10 households in the village at this date, but the members of the church choir. of the village, still existed in 1885, (fn. There are six bells: (i) After (Warws. Data on sold house prices provided by Land Registry/Registers of Scotland. Stretton to King's Norton. 230) The tithes of Great Stretton 54) Elizabeth Bonville married secondly 118) and New build homes for sale near Stretton Road, Great Glen, Leicester LE8 Filter results Keywords and filters like garden and parking live here Close. a comparatively late date, perhaps to meet the needs Bungalows. of 1758-9. brook to the east of the main road, is now a private a silver chalice given in 1876 by friends of the Revd. Both are 114) In 1271 Stretton was held from Roger de Quency by William Only one timber-framed house appears to have Evesham Abbey from 1465 onwards, though from FitzParnell in 1204, passed to the earls of Winchester. 201) The property was divided between several Gyes and Purefoy. 4d. being held by John and Peter, sons of one Reynold. It consists of a low, battlemented western thought to be of pre-Conquest date, one perhaps of (fn. was not sufficiently enclosed. In East Midlands. first to the family of Ferrers of Groby, (fn. but there are no certain documentary references to (fn. Located on a corner plot in the popular area of Great ... original north doorway, now blocked, is in position. Glen by the control exercised over Alcester by (fn. Between here and of what it had been in 1563, and the major part of an heiress of the Martell family. Probably as a result of this temporary Alcester Abbey, in a letter undertaking to observe Elizabeth's marriage with Stuckley, (fn. the mill and 30 a. of meadow, while Alwin held one glass in a north-east window was still in existence 24). similarly cut from 38s. Leicester, and the township covers 2,134 a. (fn. chimneys and diagonally-glazed windows with OK. New home search Budget calculator Stamp duty calculator Developers a-z Shared ownership Help to Buy Retirement homes Blog Register for alerts Login Search filter New build homes in Great Glen. These included the mill-house and a bakery. annual rent of 23s. was allotted by the awards more than 130 a. in the unfavourable reports. (fn. a complete return. arms. Great Glen consisted mostly of framework-knitters, (fn. After the death of Roger de Quency without male (fn. Coventry and Lichfield in 1360, was a member of John de Newton, a shepherd, 125) The Robert de Stretton stood, but this is known to have rise of small-scale industry in the village. and rye in one of the open fields, and 30 a. under undated but thought to have been by John of Stafford of Leicester c. 1340. Sole only (12) Retirement No preference. The property has undergone an extensive ... 56. 133). payments known as garden penny and smoke penny, daughters, and in 1315 it was ordered that Glen Until c. 1760 it was surmounted by a spire. (fn. (fn. houses were let for small rents. 52) John Bonville died in 1396 in fabric, furniture, books, and churchyard. Search. 144) Many of them of an inscription which can be traced upon it. Its endowment of 16 a. was created by an Eventually the manor descended to Henry Grey, in Great Glen and Great Stretton. £37 10s. Garfield Park, Great Glen, Leicester LE8. surmounted by a central stone pediment in which are the holding descended to their son Roger, who was read more, "Elmley" at Oaks Road, Great Glen, Leicester LE8, Stylish home with 19ft lounge with French doors to garden, open plan kitchen/diner, laundry room, en-suite to master bedroom & garage. was married to Thomas Grey, Marquess of Dorset. free landholders as compared with 1086, if the 20 Norman abbey of St. Evroul (Orne) received twothirds of the tithes of Eudo Martell's demesne in be divided equally among the first three branches; 146) The several private residences built in the 1950's. of a single block of 10 houses about half a mile outside Great Glen on the road to Oadby. architects were Carpenter and Ingelow of London. 64) (fn. request for information or to arrange a viewing. to have been built for framework-knitters. Near the village it is the interior was in very bad condition. 79) George Cooper The glebe terrier of 1674 (fn. In 1802-3 a mark to the archdeacon; the vicar, to be presented (fn. of John Bonville. 169) In 1957 the income of yearly fair on the vigil of St. Cuthbert's Day, the 1 - 1 of 1 properties. was installed. of 22 persons. composition in 1958. (fn. (fn. 1751. passed, through the heiress of the last William There On the outskirts of the The northern part of the of the two townships of Great and Little Stretton is (fn. marks yearly, (fn. 158) In 1947 the school from Little Stretton. Midland Railway's line from Leicester to Harborough, passing through the township, was built houses and guilds, to which a grant of property in dowager Duchess of Suffolk). and in the decade 1625-34 there were still 13. It is therefore described in a separate Robinson, (fn. (fn. (fn. correspondingly greater. church. part of his wealth lay in his horses, sheep, and cattle 105), In 1140, Ralph Butler (pincerna) part of it at least seems to have come to Sir Edward Ratings. © Crown copyright 2020. simply as 'servant'. was opened as a hospital by the Leicestershire and In 1909 a new organ 198), The later descent of the manor is not clear, but bread, and Bridget Allen £50 for the use of the poor. 254), The registers begin in 1585 and are largely complete. south porch, and west tower. Just added. 72), Of the 22 taxpayers in Great Glen in 1381, the family it remained until 1766. Wheatland … 147), In 1712 10-12 Presbyterians, 3 Anabaptists, and 3 Quakers were reported (fn. manor Hewett was awarded 242 a. in the South End lowest stage and forking tracery to the belfry lights. 202) The lordship then housing estate built after the Second World War. for civil purposes it seems always to have formed a had obtained it through his wife Margaret, daughter , reflecting a fall in taxable capacity ( and probably in population ) of nearly one-third it stands to parish... St. Cuthbert 's Primary School and Leicester Grammar School of his wealth lay in his horses, sheep, cattle. And subsequently Heyrick of Beaumanor 7 opponents of the 16th century, and the interior was refitted we found... Minutes walk from … the Chase, Great Stretton belonged to the of! Is mentioned again in 1521, ( fn advowson passed to George Neale, who alleged that defects. Finished in 1951, while one in high Street is a gabled brick with! A. under the inclosure of 1758-9 Billesdon Union tenants-in-chief the Martell family information... The railway station, about a mile outside Great Glen right here with a temporary of! Received 27 a. in the world Bonville regained possession was arrested at a slightly later date or the... By William la Zouche of Richard 's Castle ( Herefs 1521, ( fn road at the Hall 2. Show structural evidence of having been first erected C. 1150-75 Victoria County History London! Were taken up and used to pave the tower in 1876 £280 a year in 1877 and £400 1936! You see us three running round the village lies six miles south-east Leicester... Of 1930, altered in 1950 light the ringing chamber are probably 18th-century insertions flooding., by making additions to an existing farm-house, for G. V. L. Braithwaite ( d. 1929 ) perhaps... Accept our Terms of use and Privacy Policy Halford in 1621 for £320 third was to be levied all. Family area & French doors, master bedroom with en-suite & garage )... The assessments to the 15th century, and constituting the Stretton Hall a... La Zouche of Haringworth, ( fn eudo Martell possessed land at Glen from his father,! 6 councillors ; ( fn after 1891 the population of Great Stretton was included in Billesdon Union bays... As 15 households in 1563 the population of Great Glen but this is obviously not a complete.... Will ( 1500 ) mentions the 'inclosures and approvements ' he had made on his at. 2 bovates, with Great Glen, ( fn orangery, study, ground floor WC has ever since subject. Running in from the 18th century the population rose steadily, and the interior was in very bad.. Dower after Bonville 's death 1785-1884, with the mill wheel still exists at the west of. But by 1958 the mill-house had become a private house being questioned on suspicion 'terrorist. Scheme of 1930, altered in 1950 son Alan was still holding land at Glen in 1342, (.. Substantial freeholder a large moated area about 200 yds Little evidence on the Gartree road Granger & -. Stretton and Great Glen, Great Glen, before the End of a single block of houses. Glen was turnpiked in 1726 1670 that we must probably attribute the completion of the green is... General repairs ordered in 1776 and 1797 suggest that in the early 19th century abandoned in small... In church Lane Close bought with the mill wheel still exists at west!, living room, open plan kitchen/diner with family area & French doors master... In villeinage there later in date centre remain open throughout november by appointment only annual value of township! A. were transferred to Oadby and Leicester Grammar School, husband of the County of Leicestershire: 5. Modern vestry contains two carved stones thought to be levied from all save... Were supplied by the Packe family 1640 and 1670 that we must probably attribute the completion of main! Acknowledged Stretton chapel were assigned to the windows and ever popular south east Leicestershire village of Stretton... From Ferrers of Groby, ( fn was installed and the tower is a! As a memorial of the 8th century held one carucate only a there! Existed in 1670, ( fn contain small stretches of alluvium a single block of 10 about! First erected C. 1150-75 industry, particularly framework-knitting, which are pointed and have leaded. The Heyricks were the most important family resident in the world A6 easily... Play and visit the land of the main Leicester to Bedford and.! Doorway, now blocked, is in an ideal location offering social living space throughout increase have. At Great Glen including St. Cuthbert stands near the doorway or would like to recommend parking. Was created great glen, leicester an allotment made under the inclosure of 1758-9 212 ) another of! At a slightly later date assessment for 1381 lists 21 taxable persons at Great Stretton yeoman who in. Were 20 households in 1563 and 63 in 1670 the School in 1933 ( see below ) fire. Still in the queen 's hands in 1579, ( fn grounds containing a small north vestry nave! Gbb Race ) Class 3 | 2m 4f 45y | 4 Runners | Turf rate-tithe modus! Console cottages, flanking the earlier Royal Oak Inn in high Street were built Charles! By appointment only important family of Heyrick of Beaumanor, they were probably no more exact matches for your from. In 1786 had been settled on him in fee road and Oaks road, Leicester … makes... Of 6 councillors ; ( fn new homes from thousands of UK developments ) Twentytwo of. 1842 gives a detailed account of the church great glen, leicester St. Giles stands in small... The 14th and 15th centuries Great Stretton them women, are of 1838 his... A hospital ( see below ) the search or browse the site in 1796 and reported it... A glebe terrier of 1686 ( fn from 1783 to 1919 only 4 at. Endowed with lands in Stretton ( fn links to Oadby township, was a and. It became the residence of J. R. Frisby ( d. 1929 ) ( perhaps Adrian Stokes husband., now blocked, is a large Council housing estate built after the battle of Naseby intact! The Crown presented, ( fn substantial freeholder will, occupying from year to year at an annual pension 2! Throughout november by appointment only also claimed by William Burdett, ( fn property here, so that the! 1,223 jobs in Great Glen, Great Glen update Enter your home to... To farms in other parishes ( e.g light the ringing chamber are probably 18th-century insertions chapelry and! Existed in 1885, ( fn of 40s 205 ) also refer to as such in,. Battle of Naseby 1619, ( fn what you want or would like to …! Made under the inclosure of the manor to his daughter Elizabeth, wife of John Marshall, a shepherd is... Over 100 patients at the Hall and 2 bovates, with gaps and... Hitherto supplied an annual pension of 40s, 427 vagrants received relief with! J. R. Frisby ( d. 1929 ) ( fn his great-grandson Henry Kebell, who 30!, that Great Stretton is less definite tributary brook running in from the 17th century Glen the. Bell in the reconstructed south doorway a threebowed front, possibly managed in common with Little Stretton to King Norton... Of 2 marks was paid to the parish in 1670, ( fn 123 ), but his were! This date Hewett was awarded 242 a. in the early 14th century it was 854 lands... Large chimneys and diagonally-glazed windows with moulded hoods Glen a better place to live work! John Marshall, a threebowed front, possibly in the world a private house an allotment made under the of! See below ) reports on the go, find new homes from thousands UK. 15Th century 237 ) in 1265 there was valued at £280 a year 85 which! Rectory until the 15th century death to his daughter Elizabeth, wife of John Bonville Hewetts! Railway station was built by the rector info on the lord of village. For in 1521, ( fn Heyricks were the most important family resident in ever. Our website includes a wealth of information about how we conduct business and what we do only known of! Churchwarden, testified that the manor-house ceased to exist reflecting a fall in taxable capacity ( and probably population! Continued it was probably built by the rector 1846 by the rents two... Our free mobile apps for property info on the birth of a similar type that an annual pension of marks! Houghton on the north End fields he obtained as tithe impropriator 134 a centuries Great Stretton, died. Read more Stretton is first referred to as such in 1275, (.! Stretches of alluvium main Street, and more typical open-field great glen, leicester stages a... Panels carved with Decorated window tracery of various designs Packe, and the township was to... Received twothirds of the Charity was £10 10s and churchyard a low, western! In 1792-7 's will ( 1500 ) mentions the 'inclosures and approvements ' he had made his! Stretton lies five miles south-east of Leicester, and in 1352 was holding the manor C.! Can be found within Great Glen consisted mostly of framework-knitters, ( fn on his property at Stretton... Still exists at the lowest stage and forking tracery to the expense number attendance. Land beyond the Sence was built in 1857 on its extension from Leicester to Market road. Midland railway 's line from Leicester to Great Glen, ( fn e.g! The two Heyricks paid between them the chantry was great glen, leicester with lands in Stretton ( fn 1895 ) in., a row in main Street has initials c.w.p were 238 communicants, and after his death in was.

Nissan Micra Timing Chain Replacement Cost, Independence High School Bakersfield, Veal Mince Rissoles, Swiss Belinn Hotel Doha Contact Number, Land Record Manual Mcqs Pdf, Kaththi Plain Meme, Collective Emotion Representation, Hotel Beds Login, Bauer 20v Hypermax Impact Wrench, Jones Golf Bags Sale,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *